Thursday, November 1, 2012

It's a blog. I'm a blogger now. Blogging is cool.

My friend Nancy does NaNoWriMo every year. She's awesome, and someday she'll publish a bestseller and I'll get to mooch off her millions. Anyway, this year I found out about DigiWriMo, and I thought, what the heck? 50,000 digital words in a month! Well, now that the challenge is upon me, I realize that that's 1,667 words per day. For any of my students reading this, that basically means I have to write the equivalent of a 7-page paper Every. Single. Day. 12,500 words per week: that's basically the equivalent of a frigging THESIS, every week. So yeah.

I don't know how many of the official DigiWriMo challenges I'll take part in, but I definitely need to set some ground rules for myself. Anything that is written and published digitally counts, so long as it is intended for an audience beyond myself. That means seminar notes, which I record on my tablet, don't count unless somebody asks me to share them. But text messages, emails, tweets, Facebook status updates, homework submitted electronically, the fairy story I've been meaning to finish writing and email to my niece, and messages I post to my students on Schoology, all count. Plus, of course, this blog, which is where I plan to be getting most of my word count. Which is why this blog, like the TARDIS, can go anywhere in all of time and space. Anywhere I like. 50,000 words is a lot, guys.

Now, not all of that digital writing will be publicly available, of course, but I'll keep a running count on my daily blog posts. So far, I'm at 875 words. That's just over halfway to my daily goal.

Update: total word count of the day=1701

1 comment:

  1. Just had a fascinating class today that covered coterie poets, like Keats, who formed friendships and puff-reviewed each-others work. I write about you all the time in my blogs, and here you are, mentioning me. We're totally coterie bloggers.

    ReplyDelete

Writing Leftovers

Usually when I’m revising, there’s a stage at which I realize I have to cut some stuff, either because it’s kind of tangential to the focus ...