Monday, November 18, 2013

Guilt-free Writing Time

This update is a little late because I was in Utah over the weekend celebrating my grandmother's 90th birthday. Fortunately, I was able to use my tablet to keep to my writing schedule while riding in the car on the way there and back. Without a WiFi connection, I couldn't access many of my notes, drafts, and reference articles, because they're all stored on Dropbox and apparently it didn't all sync to my tablet because I haven't been using my tablet nearly as much since I finally got a smartphone. That made it a little harder to put my writing time to as good a use as I would have liked, but I still wrote something. This potential problem with my writing infrastructure will have to be addressed in the near future.

The other thing I had to deal with last week was guilt-induced writer's block. See, I had this pile of student papers to grade, and I should have had them finished by the end of the previous week. So on Monday morning when I was trying to write, all I could think about was those papers that I still needed to grade. After 45 minutes of non-productivity, I gave into the guilt and went back to grading. The same thing happened Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday morning, however, although I still wasn't done grading (it was a particularly arduous grading process for various reasons), as I sat down at my computer, my internal voice was telling me "I have to write now, even though the grading isn't done."

That "I have to write now" didn't feel good at all. Then it occurred to me that no, I don't have to write during my writing time--or any time, actually. But the whole point of having writing time set aside is that it means I get to write then, totally guilt-free, no matter what else I have to do that day, or that week, because writing time is writing time. Not grading time. Not answering frantic student emails time. Not helping friends' daughters with their Language Arts homework over the phone time. All that other stuff is what the rest of my time is for.

For two hours a day, I get to work on my own writing, without worrying about anything else. Writing time is guilt-free writing time. 

That was a tremendous realization for me. It probably shouldn't have been, but I'm just thick like that sometimes. The other thing that I had to do this past week was turn off literally every notification I could find on my computer, my tablet, and my smart phone. Notifications are my enemy. They make me feel bad about the things I'm not paying attention to right now, as opposed to being fully engaged with what I am doing right now.

Anyway, I'm still well behind schedule, but I'm still making progress. I've reached a point where I need to go back and re-read some Kenneth Burke, to clarify my definition of his comic frame and figure out how it maps onto the concepts of techne and phronesis. Reading Burke is fun, in the same way that opening clamshell packaging is fun. It's ridiculously hard but the goods inside are usually worth the challenge.

In other news, my housemate Stephanie got left behind this weekend as the rest of us were traveling. Apparently, she got a little lonely, and couldn't stand to wait any longer to buy my Christmas present. But she got attached to him herself over the weekend, so we're going to have joint custody of this beautiful little guy (I can't blame her. He's so relaxing to watch). He needs a name. Right now I'm thinking about Kazran, Rory, or Jim the Fish.


1 comment:

Writing Leftovers

Usually when I’m revising, there’s a stage at which I realize I have to cut some stuff, either because it’s kind of tangential to the focus ...