Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Sorting Shows

I've had the flu for the past few days. Here's how I know I must be on the mend: tonight my slight OCD tendencies got the upper hand over fatigue.

I was putting Jane Eyre back in its place (I watched it on Sunday; watching chick flicks is a time-honored part of my healing process) and I noticed a bunch of my movies were out of order, and the sorting categories made no sense. Honestly, I have no idea what I was thinking the last time I tried to organize my movies--it was probably last time I was sick, actually. I'll blame Nyquil for the shelving insanity. Anyway, something obviously had to be done. I only have two shelves, but still too many movies to want to sort them merely alphabetically. Categorizing things is tricky, though.

The current disorganization and minimal shelf space left me with a dilemma: I would either have to sort my animated movies separately from my action/adventure/scifi/fantasy shows or else <gasp!> divide a category onto multiple shelves.

It was really a lesser of two evils kind of choice.

The up shot is, Pushing Daisies and The Truman Show feel so much better among the sci-fi/fantasy shows than they did among the dramas. Kenneth Branagh's Henry V still feels weird about being left behind in the drama section, but Luther (the biopic starring Joseph Fiennes; not the equally awesome but too-dark-for-me TV series with Idris Elba) thinks it should suck it up and enjoy its place in the order of things, because after all, Apollo 13 and October Sky never whine about being kept apart from the sci-fi movies (actually, Henry V is probably just sore because if it were on the upper shelf, it'd be roughly on top of Much Ado About Nothing--"there's a double meaning in that"). Meanwhile Ever After and Penelope got moved from fantasy to chick flicks and now they're planning an epic pajama party with all the Jane Austen movies. And the animated movies? They're sitting comfortably next to the much-neglected classic musicals, waiting for a family night.

I still wonder if I should stick my superhero movies all together in their own category. I have enough of them. But then where would I put The Incredibles? Animated or superhero? What about Unbreakable? It's sort of superhero, but super different than everything else in that class. And when I get the Guardians of the Galaxy blu-ray, what then? Luke Skywalker's gonna be all "Dude, come on! I am WAY more superpowered than Star Lord." THE MADNESS NEVER ENDS.

In case you're wondering: all but two of my Doctor Who discs are in one of those CaseLogic binders, along with all of Babylon 5, Buffy, Firefly, Quantum Leap, and Stargate SG-1. If it weren't for my sci-fi TV binder I'd need another two shelves. Yeah, I know. Chuck got left out. There just wasn't room.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Leftovers

Usually when I’m revising, there’s a stage at which I realize I have to cut some stuff, either because it’s kind of tangential to the focus ...