Saturday, May 25, 2013

Entertainment Reviews

I'm thinking about posting something complicated and academic to do with the nature of words. But let's face it, I've pretty much blown the first two weeks of summer on entertainment, instead of making progress on my giant pile of academic reading or, you know, analyzing the data for that research project that I'm supposed to have finished by the end of June. Anyway. I'm still procrastinating brain work, so I'm going to write about entertainment instead.

Part 1: Portal 2 Is the Best Game Ever

Don't even try to argue with me. I spent much of last weekend playing Portal 2. Nancy got me to play Portal way back in 2011, and I've been waiting forever for a chance to play the sequel because up until last month, my PC only ever ran Linux. Since I finally broke down and bought a Windows desktop, I got the Portal Pack from Steam (and the Universe laughed, because right about the same time, Steam added Linux support--but it wouldn't have run well on my geriatric Ubuntu laptop anyway).

I could explain what makes Portal and Portal 2 so awesome, but these games have been around for ages, so I'm sure you can google an actual review. Instead, I'll just finish this section by observing that Portal 2 and zucchini bread are now forever linked in my mind, because who has time for proper meals when there's science to be done?

Part 2: Zucchini Bread, The Nearly Perfect Food?

Making food and eating it (with our without sharing, but preferably with) are among the oldest and best forms of entertainment. We recently started harvesting zucchini from Stephanie's garden, so naturally I had to make some bread. It's got vegetables (the eponymous zucchini), protein (an egg), and grains (I even use part whole wheat flour). And I don't eat dairy, so that's all the necessary food groups right there. Makes you wonder why anybody ever eats anything else.

Part 3: I Suck at Kickball, or Maybe Kickball Just Sucks

It just might be the easiest team sport ever, yet I managed to take myself out of the game during my second inning by tripping at a run over a pathetically small mound of dirt and narrowly averting a total faceplant. Now my bad knee is worse. I think in future I'll stick to safer sports, like slacklining and rock climbing.

Part 4: Summer Blockbusters

Even though sequels are rarely brilliant, I've been looking forward to Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness. I thoroughly enjoyed their predecessors and I was prepared for more of the same, if somewhat watered-down, which is pretty much what I got. Of the two, I think Iron Man 3 is the better film. The reveal in IM3 actually surprised me, unlike the total non-surprise of STID. Also, I've emotionally invested in the Marvel universe's characters in a way that I have yet to do with anybody but maybe Spock in the Abrams Star Trek universe, so that helps. I really like what they've done with Tony Stark's character arc, though I'm not sure how much character development is left for him at this point--enough to get him through Avengers 2, I hope. Iron Man 3 wasn't as good as 1 and 2, but I'll happily add it to my collection. I think STID was worth the price of admission, but Benedict Cumberbatch aside, I'm not all that eager to watch it again.

Part 5: Books!

My pile of grad student reading is so large that I feel guilty about reading for fun, but lately I've been really wanting to re-read Dune. Plus, I borrowed In the Beginning Was the Command Line from a friend the other day. Decisions, decisions....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing Leftovers

Usually when I’m revising, there’s a stage at which I realize I have to cut some stuff, either because it’s kind of tangential to the focus ...